Paul Fuzz Presents: Flew In From Miami Beach BOAC
Friday, May 05, 2006
  Bring On The Backlash
'The Backlash.' The hipster's revenge. The method by which The Cooler Than Thou re-establish their credentials as real down cats who know where it's at. The art of Being Bored. You think liking stuff is important? Fergeddit, grandad. If you really wanna get with it, you gotta not like stuff. Specifically, you gotta not like stuff two weeks before everybody stops liking it. Every cultural phenonemon has a sell-by-date. But it ain't like The Arctic Monkeys have got it stamped on their asses, no sir. You gotta figure it out for yourself. You gotta get that Backlash sense tingling.

I'm all for a good backlash. Pre-empting a backlash is a sweet feeling. "Aw, yeah, I dug some of that first Arctic Monkeys LP, some of the lyrics are pretty good, but, I mean, the music ain't all that special, couple of good tunes I guess, but I'm really just sorta bored of the whole thing now." Liking something first has nothing on not liking something first.

BUT!!!

Not everything needs a backlash.

I've been disturbed recently by a number of people, often people younger than myself but occasionally peers, who when the subject of The Simpsons has come up have adopted the classic hipster sneer & asked 'aw, yeah, but have you seen 'Family Guy?' I'm sorry: HUH??!! HAVE I 'SEEN' 'FAMILY GUY?' WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? WHY ARE YOU EVEN SUGGESTING AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE SIMPSONS? Are you suggesting some sort of...SIMPSONS BACKLASH?? I mean, seriously. This is backlash madness. Not everything demands a backlash. Dig this: SOME THINGS ARE JUST GOOD. The world does not want a Simpsons backlash. The Simpsons does in NO WAY deserve a backlash. These people are so crazed by their desperate, insatiable lust for Backlash Cool that they'll slander anything. I'm not a reverent guy, and I'm pretty happy to hear constructive criticism of even those icons I consider personal holy cows, but this "I'm So Cool I Don't Even Like The Simpsons" attitude...jeez. Who needs it? What sort of cred obsessed, mean-spritited, wrong-headed fool would think they're impressing me with with this foolishness?

Anyway, everybody knows the real US comedy hangin' for a backlash is 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'. THE NOT AS GOOD AS 'SEINFELD' SNEER, anyone?
 
Comments:
Backlashes are so over.
 
Cool post. Some stuff is, indeed, just good.
 
By the way...
I am electro girl. Blog the Boosh!
 
Superb rant! If there is one thing in the history of popular culture which is beyond criticism it is The Simpsons!
 
The Simpsons backlash seems to be based on the belief that the show should get exponentially better and better. (Much like economic growth - an economy shouldn't just grow but the rate of growth must grow... Any slippage presages doom and destruction...!!)

"Oooh, it's not as good as seasons four and five" seems to be the stuck-record reply. That's like complaining that chocolate tasted nicer when you were a kid. It's still the fucking Simpsons.
 
Hilerious and you're so right! the simpsons don't deserve a backlash despite the new ones being pretty average, though the ricky gervais episode was great. You try making a cartoon run more then 15 years and still get high raitings.

I love Curb Your Enthusiasm! It shouldn't be compared with Seinfeld though.

Backlashes suck...nuff sed.
 
What about people backlashes? In year 10 I was at least 2 weeks ahead of the Graham Holt backlash! I've always been a bit proud of that.

I've never liked the Simpsons as much as everyone else. Is that wrong? Should I be ashamed?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
IN GLORIOUS 3D FUZZ-O-VISION! A journey through the psychedelic world of cult movies, obsessive record collecting and pop-culture ephemera of all kinds. The Fuzziness is baked right in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: York, United Kingdom

To infinity, and beyond.

Archives
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / May 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]