Paul Fuzz Presents: Flew In From Miami Beach BOAC
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
  New Music, The Pink Floyd, Muddy Waters etc
So this bloggin' cat goin' by the name of Mouldy hits me with some rap about how I go on alot about 'old' music, but wants to know my opinion of 'new' music, and the deal brothers & sisters is this: I know alot about 'new' music (by which I guess we mean POST-LIBERTINES INDIE ROCK) but I don't really feel like I've got much of a handle on it, if you catch my etc. I rely on the indie-orientated cats & kittens I know to hip me to what's currently flipping wigs on the rock scene, and I hear CONTEMPOARY ROCK being played at parties or in people's cars or what haveyou, or maybe Joe Whiley'll play somethin', or I'll get a FREE CD with the NME, or I might have to review a NEW BAND for the paper, and I sorta ingest it that way, but I basically make absolutely no pro-active effort to know what's happenin' today, 'cept buying the NME, which is more outta habit than anything anyway. Like, Anna Waits digs The Arcade Fire (have they even got a 'The'? They should. They should be called The Arcade Fire..like, The Pink Floyd sounds way cooler than Pink Floyd, I've got an old John Peel session of Pink Floyd from '69 and he introduces 'em like - 'Ladies & Gentlemen...The Pink Floyd'. It's the coolest thing in the world...aw, jeez - this is OLD music, sorry) & I can see that it's all very dramatic high quality Waterboy's sorta stuff, and there's a million of 'em, and they play zithers and stuff, and it's obviously VERY GOOD music...but I just don't really, y'know, feel them particularly. Alot of this is down to production, (and I'm gonna sound like I'm a dull muso shmuck now, but I guess you'll have figured that much about me anyways) and it basically boils down to the simple fact that I Like How Records Recorded Between The Early 50s And The Mid 70s Sound. I ain't gonna lay a rap on you 'bout 'how drum miking techniques' changed or none of that boohockey, but it's enough to say that there's a vibe about the Muddy Waters - Early Led Zep (that'll do) era that I dig, and I guess that ain't no different to somebody sayin' they're a fan of a given era of literature, film, art yadda yadda yadda. The other big factor here is HISTORICAL CONTEXT, and my obsession with music from this period is part & parcel of a much wider fascination with mid-2oth centuary culture and history in gen, from Kennedy, Marilyn, beatniks the Bay Of Pigs to Nixon, Watergate, hippies & Vietnam. The music of this era is PART of the history, and that simply ain't the case now. Razorlight don't say anything about Iraq, Blair, Bush etc, and I find that sort of hard to get past, in terms of really liking them. Post mid 70s, the only stuff I really, truly dig is - ahem - old skool hip-hop (ie rough, badly recorded, very basic, very loud James Brown drum breaks being shouted over by a buncha school kids called something like The Incredible Disco 5) which I dig for the same reason I dig Jimi Hendrix, which is to say I dig it because it's so authentic a reflection of the desperate, fascinating climate in which it was produced -it's THE SOUND, THE SMELL of the drug / gang / Vietnam fallout that decimated the Bronx district of Manhattan circa 1977. I don't get that sorta feeling from much these days. Which means I'm missing out, fer sure. I envy young cats who dig the new scene. I like The White Stripes alot, infact I think they're utterly brilliant, but they're basically a garage/punk RnB band who got lucky, so they really don't count as New Music anymore than any Nuggets-revivalist band from Dee-troit does, ie The Mummies, The Greenhornes etc. I like & enjoy alot of new music, I think The Kooks write nice songs, I think The Arctic Monkeys are basically A Good Thing, I think Madonna is pretty great, I think The Flaming Lips are wonderful entertainment & very smart, I think Pete Doherty remains an interesting if pitiable figure and I think Lilly Allen is pretty NOW and good luck to her.

I while ago Keith Richards was interviewed in Q Magazine and they asked him what he thought about the 'NEW CROP' of BRITISH GUITAR BANDS; ie Razorlight, Franz etc. His reply was that he didn't really know much about them, and ended his response with the following question:

"I mean - are they as good as Muddy Waters?"

Q Magazine had to concede that no, of course they weren't. Keith thus considered the matter closed - if they're not as good as Muddy Waters then he's not really missing out, and he may as well stick with Muddy Waters. Keef's an old blues reactionary, possibly of the worst kind, and on one level his attitude sucks. But on another level, I sorta know what he's saying, and my attitude to NEW MUSIC basically boils down to: nobody has the time to Be Into Everything. If you're gonna devote your life to collecting all the great blues LPs in the world, you're never going to have the time, energy, money or inclination to really get into anything else. Things will appear on your radar, like a really great single by some great new band, but if it comes down to deciding whether your £10 is gonna go on an LP by A New Band That Sounds Like Black Sabbath or an LP by Black Sabbath, my money's always gonna go on Black Sabbath.

I run and DJ at a 60s funk/psyche/prog/RnB club called the Revolutionary Freaked Out Fuzz Club, and we have a motto, which I think I half- ripped off from Lester Bangs; "It's Not Retro, It's Just Good Taste." Whether it's good taste or not is up for debate, but I certainly don't think of it as retro.
 
Comments:
iTunes calls them "The Arcade Fire".
 
The Arcade Fire sounds a LOT better, I agree. And I'm sure there's a lot of stuff out there that's as good as Muddy Waters, you luddite.


;) Heehee.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
I've gotta say I think even thinking about music in terms of old or new is narrow minded. There are certainly trends and movements in all art but lets face it, there is a finite number of colours in the world and a finite number of notes so art is art and music is music is music is...

I personally like a lot of music that is being made today. I also dislike a lot of it. I like a lot of music made in the past, and I dislike a lot of it.

I don't agree with the whole "Razorlight don't say anything about Bush" being a valid comment either. Firstly, we live in an age where freedom of speech (in the Western world) is a given, so people have become lazy. Secondly, young guns in 1960's Seattle, Conneticut, Slough...genuinely felt that music gave them a way to rally against something in a world where young people were emerging as a powerful political force. I think to expect our young musicians to forge ahead with protest songs in an age where every opinion you could ever hope to express is already being expressed on TV, in newspapers, on (dare I say it) personal blogs is a tall order.

Musicians nowadays live under the cloud (which clubs such as yours somewhat perpetuate), that pop music can never match that created in the 60s. This is a negative vibe. It's like a younger sibling being told all the time that their big sister (with whom they share the same genes, upbringing, environment...) is always going to be better than them simply because they came a few years earlier - and did some stuff first.

It is your duty as a savvy, intelligent passionate music fan to take ALL music at face value and judge it for what it is. You should buy albums that look interesting in shops (due to artwork, collaborators etc) without looking for the year they were made.

And finally, Keith Richards is a fool. Muddy Waters would agree.
 
Its wonderful to see that the Becster hasn't calmed down at all.

Narrow minded to see music as old and new? No, its just fact. Some music has been around for years and some has been written in 2006. And generally speaking, whatever the genre, music written this year will have a different sound to that written 20 years ago. My point was that Paul has a big interest in Music and I was interested to know his opinion on the things I was listening to.

You should get a blog, Becs!
 
I just got the new Lily Allen Cd and it is definately growing on me. Not what I am used to but I appreciate it for what it is.

Music is personal taste and if you like the sound of the music back in the past so to speak then that is what you will listen to.

Me I love my Kate Bush, Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd but I also love new stuff like Imogen Heap, Hard Fi and Kaiser Chiefs.

The only thing these bands have in common is that I like listening to their music.
 
I noted your comment re the feel of 60s/early 70s music and its place in the history of that time, and thought about a comment I just left on another site re Radiohead's OK Computer.

Perhaps I'm showing my lack of appreciation of 'new' music by citing a 90s example (Gen X rocks!), but no album anywhere ever has a sense of its own place in history as Radiohead's OK Computer. It just captures perfectly a sense of post-modern disillusionment with the consumerist, disengaged , technology-driven and end of history world that we find outselves living in. It truly is music for its time.

I'd also say to watch the film/documentary "Live Forever: The Rise and Fall of Britpop", which illustrates the role that Brit-pop music played in post-Thatcher Britain. Kinda makes me wish I had been there (Australia sucks). I can't now listen to Oasis' 'Some Might Say' without reflecting upon the song's performance on top of the pops the day after labour cleaned up at 95 council elections. Those were the days before Blair sucked of course.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
IN GLORIOUS 3D FUZZ-O-VISION! A journey through the psychedelic world of cult movies, obsessive record collecting and pop-culture ephemera of all kinds. The Fuzziness is baked right in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: York, United Kingdom

To infinity, and beyond.

Archives
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / May 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]