Paul Fuzz Presents: Flew In From Miami Beach BOAC
Sunday, July 30, 2006
  The Revolutionary Freaked Out Fuzz Club Paul Fuzz DJ set list
For the sake of my own sanity ( & and maybe one or two of you might be interested too) I've decided to record here my set list from last night's Revolutionary Freaked out Fuzz Club, the monthly 50s/60s psyche/blues/funk night I run with a couple of friends down at the City Screen Basement Bar in York...I drink too much Stella and my set is always a mixture of 'on the fly' making-it-up-as-I-go-along DJing and semi-planned stuff, ie the Beatles medley, so by the time the next Fuzz Club come 'round I've forgotten what I played, what worked & what didn't etc. So I figure if I collect my thought here it'll help me next time.

So...making their debut on the Fuzz set list were Black Sabbath's The Wizard (there's always one song that loads of people come & thank me for playing, and The Wizard was definately this Fuzz Club's HIT) , Can's Halleuwah (a phenonemal song, don't know why I've not 'spun' it before), Hawkwind's Hash Cake 77 (not really a floor filler to be honest, but groovy in a I'M FLYING THROUGH THE COSMOS way...sounds remarkably like early Verve...don't think I'll be playing it again), Chicago's I'm A Man & Augustus Pablo's East Of The River Nile (brooding oragn/vibes/melodica heavy dub reggae instrumental, one of my ALL TIME TOP 10 RECORDS). Noticeable by their absence were James Brown & Captain Beefheart (who I almost always play something by), and Booker T & The MG's Green Onions (possibly the first time I haven't included this in my set at the Fuzz Club, another ALL TIME TOP 10 RECORD).

Can - Halleuwah
Dave Hamilton - Soul Suite
David Axelrod - General Confessional
Funkadelic - I Bet You
Funkadelic - Free Your Mind (And Your Ass Will Follow)
Hawkwind - Hash Cake '77
Jimi Hendrix - Who Knows
Jimi Hendrix - If 6 Was 9
Augustus Pablo - East Of The River Nile
Shuggie Otis - Oxford Grey
The Mogol - Sunset In Golden Horn
The Electric Flag - M-23 (from 'The Trip ' OST)
Rex Garvin - Strange Happenings
Bad Boys - Black Olives
Rex Garvin - Strange Happenings
Black Sabbath - The Wizard
Bobby Franklin's Insanity - Bring It On Down
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Lucrecia McEvil
Ides Of March - Vehicle
Chicago - I'm A Man
Howlin' Wolf - Spoonful
Hound Dog Taylor - Let's Get Funky
The Bar-Kays - Knucklehead
Reno & The Chosen 3 - Soul Bagg
Bob Dylan - Sitting On A Barbed Wire Fence
Aretha Franklin - The Weight
The Beatles - Paul Fuzz Mix: A Beginning (Anthology 3) into Helter Skelter (Anthology 3 version) into Strawberry Fields Forever (Anthology 2, Version 3 - from beginning of Ringo's drum coda) - over top of - first string crescendo from A Day In The Life into Glass Onion
The Kingsmen - Louie Louie
Neil Armstrong - "One small step" dialogue

Louie Louie is the greatest song in the whole world. The bit after the guitar break when they come in wrong and the drummer cobbles together a rubbish fill to get them back on track is possibly my favourite moment in the entire history of recorded popular music. A key text of 20th Century American-trash-pop culture.
 
Comments:
And a good night was had by all :D
 
Paul Fuzz, what is the easiest way for me to send you a tune? do you have an email?

cheers
Rich
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
IN GLORIOUS 3D FUZZ-O-VISION! A journey through the psychedelic world of cult movies, obsessive record collecting and pop-culture ephemera of all kinds. The Fuzziness is baked right in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: York, United Kingdom

To infinity, and beyond.

Archives
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / May 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]