Paul Fuzz Presents: Flew In From Miami Beach BOAC
Monday, April 30, 2007
  Doctor Whoapalooza: Jumping The Shark, Jumping The Gun, or Jumping On The Bandwagon
Oh, man. You won't stop 'em now. They've tasted blood. The Great Blogosphere Gold Rush has begun. The Cannonball Run of I Knew It Sucked Before You Knew It Sucked. Everybody likes to shout 'Backlash!' in a crowded theatre. Like I said here before: the only thing better than liking something cool before other people, is not liking something cool before other people. You think I'm kidding? Aw, you oughta try it sometime. Yeah, do it! Take a random pot-shot a something! Pick a sacred cow...now slaughter it. Yeah, hack it down! With a vengence! Take that, The Simpsons! Take this, The Mighty Boosh! Suck on that, Lennon/McCartney! Personally I beat on Orson Welles every chance I get! "What, Citizen Kane? Suh-ucks. You wanna watch a real movie about a sledge, I got two words for you: Cool. Runnings." Yeah, you gotta get down with yo' bad self! You gotta get your backlash on! Feels good, don't it? But you gotta get in there fast. Second ain't nowhere, 'cos hitching a ride on the bandwagon is for squares, you dig? You gotta take a chance. Make a call, a split second decision: Has This Show Jumped The Shark?

Look, I'll straight with you. I don't know a damn thing about Doctor Who, 'cept my sister digs it the mostest, he wears nice baseball sneakers, the girl who did 'Because We Want To' used to be in it but then she split - which was some sorta big deal 'cos all you cats dug her so much and the Doctor loved her and 'Honey To The Bee' was actually an OK song, like a slighty more pop / less RnB All Saints etc - and she's like a serious acting talent now or whatever, and I've probably seen about, what, half a dozen episodes, half of which I thought were really neat and the other half of which - ie the new series that everybody's getting crazy about 'round these parts - just kinda wasted my precious time, to quote Bobby Dylan. I don't have much emotional investment in the Doctor Who thing. But what I'm really digging is Doctor Whoapalooza, the blogosphere debate surrounding the recent Dalek two-parter...momentary lapse, or...SHARK JUMP..the frenzied rush by some to be the first on their block to send up a "DOCTOR WHO HAS JUMPED THE S" distress flare, while other, more cautious, souls call for calm and restraint, keeping the faith, "it'll be ok, it's just a phase ..."

Joe Backlash Blog: (credits still rolling) "WORST WHO EVER! IT'S ALL OVER, PEOPLE! TIME OF DEATH: RIGHT NOW! I'M STATING IT HERE, FIRST, FOR PROSPERITY, AND HISTORY WILL BARE ME OUT: DOCTOR WHO HAS...JUMPED. THE. SHARK! BOOM! DID IT AGAIN! BOW BEFORE JOE BACKLASH, PROPHET OF COOL, HUMAN BAROMETER OF WHAT IS HOT AND WHAT IS NOT!"

Joe Apologist Blog: "This is perhaps somewhat rash. You've gotta give it a second chance. I think your assessment is a little premature."

Joe Backlash:"Premature...or MIND BOGGLINGLY ZEITGEISTY ?"

Joe Apologist: "Premature."

Joe Backlash: "Exactly the sort of thing somebody who's too slow to accurately assess the pop culture climate would say. ZING! Hey, loser! I got my bangwagon right here! Why doncha jump on it?! Oh, and another thing: The Arcade Fire? SUH-HUCK!"

(I don't know how to do 'links', I'm a writer not a scientist goddamit, but for what it's worth, I've been particularly enjoying Anna Waits, Rob Buckley, Marie 'Struggling Author', Lisa Rullsenberg and Mitch Benn's contributions to Doctor Whoapalooza.)

Labels:

 
Comments:
Brilliant brillant brilliant!
 
Ta for the shout-out! And a great post. Of course. We heart the Fuzz-rant.
 
Thanks for the shout! Tell you what mate I have no idea whether I have hit the backlash on the zeitgiest or what, all I can tell you is that it was really bad. I'd like Doctor Who to reverse back over the shark next week and if it does I will forgive it, cool or not cool.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
IN GLORIOUS 3D FUZZ-O-VISION! A journey through the psychedelic world of cult movies, obsessive record collecting and pop-culture ephemera of all kinds. The Fuzziness is baked right in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: York, United Kingdom

To infinity, and beyond.

Archives
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / May 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]