Paul Fuzz Presents: Flew In From Miami Beach BOAC
Saturday, May 12, 2007
  Wu Tang On The Culture Show
Oh, man. Just watchin' The Culture Show, very hip item about 'Street Chess' - the US phenonema of ghetto kids playing Chess out in the parks, (a familiar image from US TV, though not an image I really knew the history and culture of until I watched this), and then they start talkin' 'bout the connection with Hip-Hop, the idea of 'battling', of intellectual karate, and how there are numerous examples of rappers recognising the similarities between the two disciplines. Que: 'Da Mystery Of Chessboxin' from the awesome debut LP by Staten Island's finest, the mighty Wu Tang Clan. I was v. excited by this.

Anyway, enjoy Doctor Who tonight, guys...oh...No. Hang on. Enjoy Scooch. Enjoy Scooch tonight.

Labels: ,

 
Comments:
I missed Culture Show! And there were Charlie Brooker and Daily Show people too! Stupid Eurovision. I voted for Sweden - they were glam rockers and just like T-Rex. Well, not just like T-Rex cos they were rubbish, obviously, but still. And I'm sure they did an homage to that famous Bowie performance of Starman.
 
I didn't catch Eurovision. And I musta missed the Daily Show guys on the Culture Show (Doh!)...I only tuned in halfaway through, which I do pretty much every Saturday. Charlie Brooker was fine, but it was a bit of a soft target (Any Dream Will Do / Grease Is The Word), however creatively he dealt with it. It's like shooting monkeys in a barrel. But yeah, the 'Street Chess' item was fascinating. You see people playing Chess in Central Park or wherever on US TV all the time, but I never really knew how the tradition sprung up. I thought it was a great, unusual subject, with a great soudtrack, and it can only be a matter of time before somebody does a proper hip 'investigation of a sub-culture' documentary about it, a la 'Scratch' (hip-hop), Dog Town & The Z Boys (skateboarding) or that great Spelling Bee movie that came out a few years back. I tend to enjoy the stuff on The Culture Show I know nothing about (fashion etc) more than the stuff about subjects I already follow.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
IN GLORIOUS 3D FUZZ-O-VISION! A journey through the psychedelic world of cult movies, obsessive record collecting and pop-culture ephemera of all kinds. The Fuzziness is baked right in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: York, United Kingdom

To infinity, and beyond.

Archives
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / May 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]